Childsplay Educational Software
Childsplay is not a single game but a suite of educational games aimed predominantly at children
Of the Childsplay/CognitionPlay/Schoolsplay family of programs, Childsplay is the one oriented at home users but can also be used in kindergarten schools. Python and PyGame based, it provides a framework for activities that are more ‘game’ like: they can have animation and move.
Childsplay has all the activities found in the old childsplay, version < 0.90.
Childsplay provides several features for users and developers of activities:
- Memory activities that are fun to play and at the same time learn sounds, images, letters and numbers.
- activities that train the child to use the mouse and keyboard.
- pure game activities like puzzles, pong, pacman and billiards.
- multilingual support, even right to left languages (via Pango).
- solid data logging to monitor the children’s progress; locally (SQLite) or over network (MySQL or any other db supported by SQLAlchemy).
- set of OpenOffice reports to print this data (still in development state).
- object oriented framework for easy activity development in Python/PyGame.
- good support by the developers and translators.
Images originally placed in this article 2007 it is likely the images may have been updated since.
Childsplay uses a plug-in system for the game modules. These games are packaged in plugin-packages (only one for now). You must first install childsplay before you can use these games, because they only work from within childsplay.
Installing the three packages above will net you all the childsplay games listed.
What didn’t you know you can add more than one package at a time to install.
Number of comments: 0